Tuesday 13 May 2014

Neighbors and visitors


Living where we live we rarely see other people.  Which is a nice contrast from my city job where I see hundreds of people on a daily basis - and that's just my commute.  We do have a lot of visitors to the farm but mostly on weekends and as I've mentioned before we try to limit those visit's to Saturdays so actual work can get done Sunday's.  If folks do visit Sunday (as they did last weekend), I usually task them with some work as well.  On Mothers Day I had my mother and my aunt (and my uncle, cousin and sister) over for the afternoon.  I showed my sister the garden and that led to 2 hours of weeding and spreading horse manure.  I asked my cousin to move a particular bin of twigs closer to the fire that had gotten very heavy from sitting in the rain.  And my husband asked my uncle to help him with some work on another part of the property.  My sister made dinner and did the dishes.  Lots of other work got done that day and there is a lot more left - as it goes on the farm.  This weekend we are having my brother, sister in law and their two boys over for a few days / nights.  It's time to plant and they want to help with the work - bless them.  But we'll also clean out the barn, clean up the pastures, the chicken coop, mow the lawn and in between hopefully have a little fun and eat a lot of good food.  I'm really looking forward to it.

But besides visitors we also have met a lot of our neighbors and people who work in the area, and people who are lost and people who come and ask if they can hunt on our property.  It's been an interesting 8 months to say the least.  My husband has helped people get unstuck from the snow, our neighbors have come to help us out of the snow.  We've had neighbors and farmers show up unannounced for a beer,  neighbors calling to tell us they have our dog or to bring him back.  We've had neighbors park their horse trailer on our driveway and then their cars because they couldn't get down their own driveway for the ice this past spring - this was in March! It really has been a huge change for us.  I'm getting a real sense of community here but not too much community - like it is in the city.  Just enough to know that we are all looking out for each other and we are all in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment